Don’t let Sore throat ruin your day
Sore throat known as Acute Pharyngo-tonsillitis is a very common chief complaint among kids and adults. The sore throat can be bad enough to disrupt a day. This can start unexpectedly any day of the year and for many different reasons.
When should you consult a provider about your sore throat pain?
- Severe sore throat that last longer than a week
- Earache and joint pain
- Difficulty opening your mouth
- Running nose
- Rash or fever high than 101 F
The infection is usually self-limited and 70% of the cases are assumed to be viral while the remaining are caused by bacterial pathogens.
One Heart Health and Wellness can treat sore throat via tele visit and get you feeling better soon without having to leave your home. Our provider can visit with your through a phone chat or secure video to help diagnose and treat any non-emergent medical condition like sore throat
Sample questions to ask during the consultation
- I am contagious? Is it safe to return to work/ school?
- What can I take to help relieve the symptoms?
Sore throat remedies tips:
- Allow your voice to rest.
- Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate. Fluids keep your throat moist and prevent dehydration. Avoid caffeine and alcohol, which can dehydrate you.
- Warm liquids, broth, caffeine-free tea or warm water with honey, and cold treats such as ice pops can soothe a sore throat.
- Gargle with salt and water. A saltwater gargle of 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of table salt to 4 to 8 ounces of warm water can help soothe a sore throat. Gargle the solution and then spit it out.
- Humidify the air. Use a cool-air humidifier to eliminate dry air that may further irritate a sore throat or sit for several minutes in a steamy bathroom.
- Consider lozenges or hard candy.
- Avoid irritants. Keep your home free from cigarette smoke and cleaning products that can irritate the throat.